Leaves in the Road are a Hazard
Upstate New York weather and road conditions change rapidly season to season. Following fall driving safety tips will help keep you safe as you enjoy the colors of the autumn leaves.
Leaves in the road are a hazard
When leaves pile-up on the road and become wet, they can become extremely slippery, making the driving conditions similar to driving on ice. Leaves can reduce traction, causing skidding and the increase the possibility of losing control of the vehicle. Leaves also can cover the roadway and make it difficult to see the painted lane markings, making it dangerous to pass, and difficult to determine where the driving lanes are.
· Drive Slower: Slow down if you are driving on leaf covered roads, especially when driving around corners.
· Keep a Safe Distance: Allow yourself extra room to stop in an emergency situation; keeping a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Approach stop signs and traffic lights slowly to avoid sliding through the intersection.
· Use Caution: Leaves make it difficult to see potholes in the road and lane markings.
· Never Drive Through Leaf Piles: Piles of leaves raked to the side of the street are enticing places for children to play. Kids love jumping into the leaf piles, burring themselves and hiding in them. Never drive through a leaf pile and use caution when driving anywhere near where children may be playing.
· Watch out for Other Drivers: Piles of leaves raked to the side of the road also cause drivers to weave in and out of their lane to avoid driving through the piles. Be aware of oncoming traffic and carefully navigate through narrow village streets.
· Check your Windshield Wipers Before driving sweep away any leaves on your hood or windshield to avoid obstructing your view or having leaves stuck between your windshield and wiper blades.
· Leaves are Combustible: Never park your vehicle over a pile of leaves, to avoid the possibility of a fire hazard from your vehicles exhaust.ather and road conditions change rapidly season to season. Following fall driving safety tips will help keep you safe as you enjoy the colors of the autumn leaves.