top of page
  • Writer's pictureWB Payne Insurance

Five Deadly Combinations Ten Household Chemicals you Should Never Mix Together

It’s a great time for a good home deep clean!

Spring cleaning is all about getting our homes ready for a new season of sunshine, warmth and time outdoors — and indoors, too — especially if that’s where you’re spending a lot of time right now. Get ready to wipe off the grime, clear out the cobwebs and refresh your living spaces.

Add these project to your spring-cleaning checklist, and you’ll be rewarded with a home that feels brighter, cleaner and more functional. Best of all, you can knock out most of these jobs in a weekend but be mindful of the cleaning products you are using and do not mix them together.

Many household chemicals that can be found in your cleaning cupboards can be deadly when mixed together!

10 household chemicals you should never mix together

Bleach and Ammonia = Toxic Chloramine Vapor

What It Does: Chloramine burns your eyes and respiratory system and can lead to internal organ damage. If there is enough ammonia in the mixture, hydrazine may be produced.

Bleach and rubbing alcohol = Toxic chloroform

What It Does: Breathing enough chloroform will knock you out, which will make you unable to move to fresh air. Breathing too much can kill you.

Bleach and vinegar = Toxic Chlorine Gas

What It Does: Chlorine gas has been used as a chemical warfare agent, so it's not something you want to be producing and inhaling in your home. Chlorine attacks the skin, mucous membranes, and respiratory system.

Vinegar and Peroxide = Paracetic Acid

What It Does: Paracetic acid can irritate your eyes and nose and may give you a chemical burn.

Peroxide and Henna Hair Dye = Hair Nightmare

What It Does: Peroxide removes existing color from your hair, so it's easier to add a new color. When it reacts with metal salts (not ordinarily found in hair), it oxidizes them.

This nasty chemical reaction is most likely to be encountered if you color your hair at home.

The metal reacts with hydrogen peroxide in other hair colors in an exothermic reaction that can cause a skin reaction, burn you, make your hair fall out, and produce a scary unpredictable color in hair that remains.

W.B. Payne Inc., Insurance Professionals | 315-942-4434 |

Read more at DevonLive:

389 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page